- Robert S. Payne Elementary is fully accredited by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Selected as a Distinguished Title I School 2004-05, 2005-2006, and 2006-2007
- NCLB Blue Ribbon School Award 2005
- Selected as one of five elementary schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia to participate in the Best Practices Conference 2004-05
- Virginia Index of Performance Excellence Award from the Virginia Department of Education 2008
- G.O. Center Teachers were awarded First Place for their innovative project, “Let’s G.O. Serfing,” by the Virginia Council on Economic Education. This award was sponsored by the Consumer Credit Council of Virginia, Inc.
- Kim Beuerle, second grade teacher, was the recipient of the regional award, Economics Educator of the Year, given by the Center of Economic Development at Lynchburg College.
- Kim Beuerle and Shelley Burleigh, second grade teachers, received grants from the Center for Economic Development of Lynchburg College.
- Patsy Sellers, fifth grade G.O. Center teacher, was selected as Lynchburg City Schools’ Teacher of the Year and the Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year for the year 2002-2003.
- Robin Wood was Sam’s Teacher of the Year 2002-2003 and selected as one of 21 Title I Distinguished Educator in Virginia for 2005 .
- Kim Beuerle was selected as Lynchburg City Schools’ Teacher of the Year 2008-2009.
- Six students were regional winners in the Writers in Residence Contest for Lynchburg City Schools.
- Several G.O. Center students were recognized as winners in the Regional Science Fair.
- Awards assemblies recognize the achievements of our students at the end of the each six weeks.
- Accelerated Reader Points are earned each six weeks.