Sheffield Elementary is a place where everyone is someone special. The school is organized and designed to facilitate and enable teachers to teach and children to learn. Our educational goal is to make learning so exciting that students will experience the joy of discovering new ideas and building new skills. The ultimate goal is to help them develop a love of learning. We believe that all students have the right to a quality education. We firmly believe that all students have the right to attend school, to learn, and to play in a positive, safe, and threat-free environment. Consistent with these values, Sheffield Elementary will continue with a uniform dress code. This policy will help promote Sheffield Elementary's sense of family and unity by creating an environment of equality. We believe that the school's climate will enable each student to experience personal success and develop into life long learners.
UNIFORMS may be purchased ANYWHERE (as long as they meet the dress code) including the following vendors: Belk, Burlington Coat Factory, French Toast, JC Penny. Land's End, Red Apple Thrift Shop, Rugged Warehouse, Target, Sears, or Wal-Mart.
VENDOR FOR EMBROIDERY is The Swann Group. This vendor is the only vendor authorized for embroidery for our school logo. Please call this company for their price list.
- Clothing should fit the child: however, one size increase for growth is permissible.
- Garments that do not fit properly will not be tolerated including oversized, undersized, and skin tight garments.
- Clothing must be worn as the manufacturer intended.
- Garments must be free of labels and graphics of any kind.
- The only logo that may be worn on uniform clothing is the Sheffield Elementary running tiger in royal blue or white thread only.
- Each student shall own at least one navy bottom and white polo or white Oxford/dress shirt as a mandatory uniform to be used at special functions that will be announced.
Shirts for Boys and Girls
- Traditional two or three button polo shirts long or short sleeve in solid colors: White, Red, and Navy Blue.
- Oxford cloth/ Broad cloth button up dress shirts (short and long sleeve) in White only.
- No shirt color/shade variations will be tolerated.
- Trim will be allowed as long as it is the same color as the shirt.
- If short sleeved, length should approach the elbow.
- Turtlenecks may also be worn UNDERNEATH (not by themselves) a polo shirt on cold days as long as they are the SAME COLOR as the polo they are put under.
- All shirts must be tucked in such that the waist band or belt is visible. If layered, both shirts must be tucked in and no designs from undershirts show through.
- Only one button may be unbuttoned.
Lower Wear: For Boys - Pants/Shorts
- Khaki (Tan-not bone, white, or off white), Navy Blue, or Black cotton twill/poly cotton twill dress pants/slacks (no denim, or lycra/stretch fabric).
- Shorts must be close to the knee or longer.
- Cargo-styled or jean/denim style pants are not acceptable.
Lower Wear: For Girls - Pants/Capri Pants/Shorts/Skorts/Skirts/Jumpers/Culottes
- Khaki (Tan-not bone, white, or off white), Navy Blue, or Black cotton twill/poly cotton twill dress pants/slacks (no jean,corduroy or lycra/stretch fabric, no mini skirts).
- Shorts, skorts, skirts, and jumpers must be close to the knee or longer.
- Capri pants may not be hip huggers, cannot be skin tight, and the manufactured slit at the bottom of the Capri pant cannot be above the knee.
- If there are belt loops, a belt must be worn.
- Belts may be black or brown, with plain buckles and no embellishments or decorations of any kind.
- Pre-K and Kindergarten students will NOT be required to wear belts.
- Sweaters (not sweatshirts) and lightweight front-zippered jackets in red, white, black, or navy blue with only the school logo visible
- All other outerwear garments must be kept in the homeroom while students are at school.
- School jackets that have been purchased from the school will also be allowed.
- If shoes have laces, they must be laced up and tied.
- Shoes may not have heels higher than two inches.
- No flip-flops or beach sandals
- White, Black, Navy Blue, and Red solid color socks/tights ONLY.
- Both socks must match.
- Socks must be worn in a manner that does not undermine the integrity of the uniform.
Underwear may not be visible/seen.
- Caps/hats/head covers shall not be worn within the school building.
- Religious exceptions will be determined by the Principal.
Any item that is worn to school must not undermine the integrity of the Uniform Policy, serve as a disruption to the educational process, or present a health or safety hazard to an individual or his/her peers.
- Children with disabilities will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Exceptions to this policy will be at the Principal's discretion.
- Financial assistance will be at the Principal's discretion.
Annual Opt-Out, Exemptions and Procedures
Any student, who, together with his/her parent/guardian, is conscientiously opposed to wearing the school uniform may request an exemption. For more information, see School Board Regulation 7-33.3.