The Superintendent meets or exceeds the requirements set by the Board of Education.
The Superintendent annually participates in high-quality professional development activities at the local, state, or national levels, on topics including the Standards of Quality, Board of Education regulations, and the Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers, Principals, and Superintendents.
As chief executive officer of the School Board, the Superintendent
- attends School Board meetings,
- implements School Board policies and ensures that they are posted on the division’s website,
- reports to the School Board about the status of programs, personnel and operations of the school division,
- recommends actions to the School Board,
- facilitates communication between the School Board and school personnel,
- assists the Chair in developing agenda of meetings of the School Board, and develops regulations as directed by the School Board.
As the educational leader of the school division, the Superintendent
- supervises the principals and assistant Superintendents,
- oversees planning and evaluation of curriculum and instruction,
- develops for approval by the School Board procedures for adopting textbooks and other instructional materials,
- visits schools on a regular basis, and
- maintains a current knowledge of developments in curriculum and instruction.
The Superintendent enforces school laws and regulations, including by
- observing directions and regulations prescribed by the Superintendent of Public Instruction or Board of Education,
- reporting information to the Superintendent of Public Instruction as required,
- promptly distributing all reports, forms, laws and regulations received from the Superintendent of Public Instruction,
- enforcing school laws, regulations and decisions of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and of the Board of Education, and
- developing and maintaining procedures, guidelines and regulations to implement School Board policy. If Board action is required by law or the Board has specifically asked that certain types of regulations be given prior Board approval, these procedures, regulations and guidelines are presented to the School Board for approval and, when approved, placed in the School Board policy manual. The administrative procedures, guidelines and regulations are communicated to the staff and made available for their information.
The Superintendent oversees staff personnel management, including by
- organizing recruitment of personnel,
- reassigning personnel in accordance with School Board policy,
- administering personnel policies and programs,
- supervising evaluation of personnel, and
- providing for maintenance of up-to-date job descriptions for all personnel.
The Superintendent oversees facility management, including by
- preparing long- and short-range plans for facilities and sites,
- providing for the maintenance of school property and safety of personnel and property,
- inspecting, or providing for the inspection of, school property on a regular basis,
- overseeing the utilization of school property,
- monitoring any construction, renovation and demolition of school facilities,
- representing the school division before local or state agencies which control building requirements or provide financing for buildings, and
- closing public school buildings which appear to be unfit for occupancy.
The Superintendent oversees financial management by
- preparing the budget for School Board approval,
- ensuring that expenditures are within the limits approved by the School Board,
- reporting to the School Board on the financial condition of the division,
- establishing procedures for procurement of equipment and supplies, and
- ensuring that an accurate record of all receipts and disbursements of school funds is kept.
The Superintendent directs community relations activities, including by
- articulating educational programs and needs to the community,
- responding to concerns expressed in the community,
- maintaining contact with the news media,
- participating in community affairs, and
- involving the community in planning and problem solving for the school division.
The Superintendent oversees pupil personnel services by
- monitoring pupil personnel services,
- providing for an adequate pupil record system,
- implementing policies and programs relating to behavior and discipline of pupils,
- maintaining programs for the health and safety of pupils, and
- facilitating communication between the school division and community agencies.
Adopted: June 17, 2014
Revised: April 28, 2015
Revised: June 4, 2019
Constitution of Virginia, article VIII, § 5.
Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, §§ 22.1-58, 22.1-59, 22.1-68, 22.1-69, 22.1-136; 22.1-253.13:5, 22.1-253.13:7.
8 VAC 20-23-50.
8 VAC 20-23-630.
8 VAC 20-390-10.
8 VAC 20-390-40.
8 VAC 20-390-50.
8 VAC 20-390-60.
8 VAC 20-390-70.
8 VAC 20-390-80.
8 VAC 20-390-90.
8 VAC 20-390-100.
8 VAC 20-390-110.