The school board identifies the following as unforeseen emergencies in which standees on school buses may be permitted for short distances:
- When a school bus driver assists another driver on his/her route, and needs to transport the students of the inoperable bus to or from school.
- When it is necessary to provide special transportation on prearranged occasions for students to a specific location within two (2) miles from the point of departure.
- When it is necessary to have emergency evacuation of school buildings.
- Temporary overloading due to change of student(s’) place(s) of residences.
- Students required to stand must stand behind the driver so his vision will not be blocked.
Approved by School Board: August 9, 1988
Revised by School Board: December 3, 2019
8 VAC 20-70-40