The Lynchburg City School Board provides a program of high-quality professional development
- in the use and documentation of performance standards and evaluation criteria based on student academic progress and skills for teachers and administrators to clarify roles and performance expectations and to facilitate the successful implementation of instructional programs that promote student achievement at the school and classroom levels;
- as part of the license renewal process, to assist teachers and principals in acquiring the skills needed to work with gifted students, students with disabilities, and students who have been identified as having limited English proficiency and to increase student achievement and expand the knowledge and skills students require to meet the standards for academic performance set by the Board of Education;
- in educational technology for all instructional personnel which is designed to facilitate integration of computer skills and related technology into the curricula,
- for administrative personnel designed to increase proficiency in instructional leadership and management, including training in the evaluation and documentation of teacher and administrator performance based on student academic progress and the skills and knowledge of such instructional or administrative personnel, and
- designed to educate School Board employees about bullying as defined in Va. Code § 22.1-276.01 and the need to create a bully-free environment.
In addition, the Board provides teachers and principals with high-quality professional development programs each year in
- instructional content;
- the preparation of tests and other assessment measures;
- methods for assessing the progress of individual students, including Standards of Learning assessment materials or other criterion-referenced tests that match locally developed objectives;
- instruction and remediation techniques in English, mathematics, science and history and social science;
- interpreting test data for instructional purposes;
- technology applications to implement the Standards of Learning; and
- effective classroom management.
All instructional personnel are required to participate each year in professional development programs.
The Board annually reviews its professional development program for quality, effectiveness, participation by instructional personnel, and relevancy to the instructional needs of teachers and the academic achievement needs of the students in the school division.
Adopted: June 17, 2014
Revised: June 5, 2018
Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, §§ 22.1-78, 22.1-253.13:5 and 22.1-276.01.