Every employee of the Lynchburg City School Board staff will be evaluated on a regular basis at least as frequently as required by law.
The Superintendent shall assure that cooperatively developed procedures for professional staff evaluations are implemented throughout the division and included in the division's policy manual. The results of the evaluation shall be in writing, dated and signed by the evaluator and the person being evaluated, with one copy going to the central office personnel file and one copy to the person being evaluated.
The primary purposes of evaluation are:
- to optimize student learning and growth;
- to contribute to the successful achievement of the goals and objectives of the division’s educational plan;
- to improve the quality of instruction by ensuring accountability for classroom performance and teacher effectiveness;
- to provide a basis for leadership improvement through productive performance appraisal and professional growth;
- to implement a performance evaluation system that promotes a positive working environment and continuous communication between the employee and the evaluator that promotes continuous professional growth, leadership effectiveness, improvement of overall job performance and improved student outcomes; and
- to promote self-growth, instructional effectiveness, and improvement of overall professional performance.
The procedures will be consistent with the performance objectives included in the Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers and the Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Principals. Evaluations shall include student academic progress as a significant component and an overall summative rating.
Any teacher whose evaluation indicates deficiencies in managing student conduct may be required to attend professional development activities designed to improve classroom management and discipline skills.
If a teacher's performance evaluation during the probationary period is not satisfactory, the School Board shall not reemploy the teacher.
Adopted: June 17, 2014
Code of Virginia, 1950, as amended, §§ 22.1-70, 22.1-78, 22.1-294, 22.1-295, 22.1-303, 22.1-253.13:5, 22.1-253.13:7 and 22.1-276.2.
Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Teachers (Virginia Board of Education April 2011)
Guidelines for Uniform Performance Standards and Evaluation Criteria for Principals (Virginia Board of Education February 2012)
CBG Evaluation of the Superintendent
GCG Professional Staff Probationary Term and Continuing Contract