1. When any student has been a “victim” pursuant to Chapter 4 (section 18.2-30 et seq.) of Title 18.2, and who has suffered physical, psychological, or economic harm as a direct result of the commission of such crime, he/she may request in writing, a transfer to another school within the division, if space is available.
2. Upon the approval of the Superintendent or designee, the student shall, upon written request from the student’s parents/guardians, or the student, if such student is an emancipated minor, be permitted to transfer to another comparable school within the division, if space is available. The parent of the student shall request the Student Transfer Request form from the counselor or building level principal. Once the form is completed, the parent/guardian or emancipated youth shall submit the form to the school principal. The form to be used will be located at each school and on the website (Student Transfer Request form).
3. A separate form for each child will need to be completed.
4. Approved transfers give permission for a child to attend the school for the entire sequence of grade levels offered by that school.
5. If no additional school is available due to grade configurations, the school administration shall work to create a plan and schedule to meet the needs of the student.
6. The action meeting the definition include crimes by mobs, crimes by gangs, terrorism offenses, kidnapping and related offenses, assaults and bodily wounding, robbery, extortion or other threats, or sexual assault, and such crime was committed:
- by another student attending classes in the school, or
- by any employee of the school board, or
- by any volunteer, contract worker or other person who regularly performs services in the school, or
- if the crime was committed upon the school property or on any school bus owned or operated by the school division.
7. Any transportation services for such students shall be provided in accordance with School Board policies at no cost to the student.
Adopted: February 5, 2019
20 U.S.C. § 7912.
Code of Virginia, §§ 22.1-3, 22.1-3.3.
JC Student Attendance Areas