The board encourages and the Superintendent may permit performances by students under the auspices of a school-sponsored organization when such performances:
- Fit the objectives of the school.
- Meet the needs and interests of the students.
- Stimulate the students in improving their ability to perform.
- Are appropriate to the participating age group.
- Require no extraordinary training but are the natural outgrowth of the normal teaching sequence.
- Do not encroach on the opportunities of professional performers or musicians.
B. Performing for Outside Sponsors
Students performing under the auspices of a school-sponsored organization may perform for outside organizations where admission fees are charged only if the proceeds are used for charitable, educational or civic purposes. Costs associated with these performances shall be borne by the sponsoring organization.
C. Payment for Performances
Payment for the performance is acceptable only in the form of a contribution to support the work of the performing organization.
D. Supervision and Liability
Performing students shall be supervised by adults under the direction of the school. Liability protection is to be provided by the sponsor.
E. Political Rallies
The board does not believe it advisable to use the musical organizations for local political rallies or other partisan political events.
The board does believe that the organizations may be used to honor the position represented by certain high public office or to honor visiting dignitaries to the area.
Adopted: January 6, 1981
Revised: February 18, 2014