The Lynchburg City School Board has directed that an evaluation program for classified personnel be developed under the direction of the superintendent. It is the desire of the school board and the administrative staff to involve classified employees of the Lynchburg City Schools in a cooperatively developed procedure. Personnel to be evaluated under this procedure are all employees assigned to the classified salary schedule. They are:
3. Instructional Assistants
4. Maintenance employees
5. Custodial employees
6. Bus drivers
7. School Nutrition employees
The evaluation process for the classified personnel of the Lynchburg City Schools is designed primarily to assist them in the improvement of job performance and to make decisions with regard to classified employees. In addition, the purpose of the evaluation process shall be to assist classified employees to overcome identified weaknesses, and to assist in the retention of employees who have demonstrated performance which is satisfactory or above.
During the preschool orientation period, the immediate supervisor should inform all classified employees of the evaluation procedure, schedule, and evaluation instrument. A copy of the evaluation instrument should be provided to all classified employees. Classified employees who are employed after the preschool orientation period should have the same evaluation information at the time of employment.
1. Each classified employee shall be evaluated on an annual basis by the principal and/or the immediate supervisor. All supervisors with whom the employee works should be involved in the evaluation. The annual evaluation shall be completed on or before March 1 of each school year. The evaluation schedule and procedure is to be used in the evaluation of all classified employees. Because of the transiency of bus drivers, they are to be evaluated annually by the supervisor of transportation. The supervisor is urged to utilize the services of principals and assistant principals to assist in the evaluation of a bus driver(s).
2. A classified employee during his/her first year of employment and each experienced classified employee who is not performing satisfactorily shall be evaluated on or before January 15. The same procedure and evaluation instrument used in the annual evaluation shall be used for the interim evaluation. Additional interim evaluations shall be at the discretion of the building administrator and/or immediate supervisor.
3. If a classified employee is evaluated as less than satisfactory on the final evaluation, a conference with a personnel administrator may be requested by the classified employee.
4. Copies of the evaluation are to be distributed as indicated on the evaluation instrument.
a. Quality of work
b. Job knowledge
d. Attendance and punctuality
e. Personal characteristics
f. Possesses skill and judgment in the use of equipment
g. Interpersonal relationships
h. Job description
D. Written Comments
1. When ratings are less than satisfactory, the evaluator shall make recommendations and provide pertinent comments in the remark section of the evaluation instrument. These remarks should outline the strengths and weaknesses and suggestions for improvement in the performance of the employee who has been rated less than satisfactory.
2. The classified employee may submit written information, with regard to specific factors of the evaluation, to the principal and/or immediate supervisor. This rebuttal or additional information must be within five (5) working days after the final annual evaluation.
Approved by Superintendent: September 16, 1980
Revised by Superintendent: August 20, 1984
Revised by School Board: September 20, 2011