A list of qualified substitute teachers is maintained by the department for personnel services and copies of this list are provided to each school. The principal or a person designated by the principal engages the services of the substitute as needed to carry on the duties of a regular teacher, secretary or nurse who is absent. No substitute may be employed who is not on the approved list.
To be eligible for approval, each substitute must:
1. Have completed satisfactorily at least two years of level work.
2. Have those qualities of character acceptable to the school and community.
3. Attend one orientation period conducted by the department of personnel services and staff development.
4. Provide the necessary documentation in support of educational, medical, and financial requirements.
1. Prior to the opening of school each year, the approved list for the previous year is reviewed and revised to produce a new basic list that is distributed to each school.
2. Each month from September through May new applications are processed and an addendum is issued to update the basic list.
3. Each list contains the following information for the substitute: name, address, telephone number, social security number, pay level, subject and/or grade that can be taught.
D. Pay Levels/Extended Service Pay
1. Three pay levels are used as appropriate.
Pay Level 1 - Non-Degree
Pay Level 2 - Degree
Pay Level 3 - Valid Virginia License
2. The appropriate daily rate of pay shall apply for all temporary substitute teacher services. When it is necessary to employ a substitute teacher for ten (10) or more consecutive days in the same assignment, and such employment is approved in advance by the director for personnel services. The pay for such substitute teacher shall be the appropriate daily rate plus a per diem rate as determined by the current budget.
1. As the effectiveness of substitute teachers can only be assessed on the job, each principal must assume the responsibility for evaluation of this service. Reports of incompetence should be made directly to the department of personnel services. Based on such reports, inadequate substitutes will be removed from the approved list and so notified.
2. Any discrepancy or error found in the substitute list should be reported to the department for personnel services immediately.
Compensation for substitutes will be determined annually and will be listed in the Compensation Manual.
Approved by Superintendent: October 17, 1978