A. Grade Weighting System
Student class rank will be determined by assigning point values to courses as follows:
|Points Per Semester Credit|
Advanced or Dual
|A - 5||A - 4.5||A - 4|
|B - 4||B - 3.5||B - 3|
|C - 3||C - 2.5||C - 2|
|D - 2||D - 1.5||D - 1|
|F - 0||F - 0||F - 0|
Please refer to the current High School Program of Studies for a complete listing of Advanced Placement, Dual Enrollment, and Advanced courses. The Grade Point Average weight for every course in the program of studies is listed in the course description. Additionally, if the course is weighted at 4.5 or 5.0 for an “A”, the weight is reflected in the course title as well.
B. Calculating Grade Point Average (GPA)
A detailed account of the process used to calculate semester and cumulative GPA values can be found in the current High School Program of Studies.
C. Transfer Students
1. If a particular grade is weighted at the school from which a student transfers and the Lynchburg City Schools weights the grade for the same course, the transferred grade will be weighted.
2. If a particular grade is weighted at the school from which a student transfers but the Lynchburg City Schools does not weight the grade for the same course, the transferred grade will not be weighted.
3. If a course is noted as an Advanced Placement, advanced, honors, or dual enrollment course, and the same course is weighted in the Lynchburg City Schools, the grade will be weighted even if the other division did not weight the course.
4. If a course is not weighted and is not noted as an Advanced Placement, advanced, honors, or dual enrollment course, the grade will not be weighted.
5. In any case in which the appropriate GPA weight for a transfer course is unclear, the assistant superintendent of curriculum and instruction will research the content and rigor of the course in question and will determine the weight of the course.
Approved by Superintendent: August 20, 1984
Revised by Superintendent: September 2, 1986
Revised by Superintendent: August 1, 1989
Revised by Superintendent: July 1, 1998
Revised by School Board: July 8, 2008