- School Board
Virginia Finalizes Waiver for No Child Left Behind Act
How does this affect students participating in public school choice?
1. Students currently participating in public school choice will be allowed to complete their elementary program in the school of choice with the school division providing transportation at no charge for the 2012-2013 school year.
2. Students currently participating in public school choice may return to their zoned school at any time. Once the decision has been made for the student to return to the base school, public school choice options will be forfeited.
3. Siblings of students currently attending a school of choice will not be eligible to attend the school of choice and must attend the zoned school or be eligible for placement outside of the zoned school according to existing School Board Policy. Older siblings may return to the zoned school as outlined above.
4. Upon completion of the elementary program, the student must attend the middle school for which the child’s residence is zoned.
5. Students new to Lynchburg City Schools for 2012-2013 will not be eligible for public school choice options.
The school board will review these procedures at the end of the 2012-2013 school year.