Parent Portal & Calendars
Other Useful Info
Useful Links & School Hours can be found on the Parent/Student Overview page
- School Board
Substitute Teacher Information and Requirements
Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching with Lynchburg City Schools. Only applicants that meet Lynchburg City Schools’ requirements will be notified and scheduled for the orientation.
- Minimum of sixty (60) college credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university
- Successful background check
- Three satisfactory professional references
- Complete the online Lynchburg City Schools’ Employment Application. Include three professional references with the application. Click here for reference forms (.pdf).
- Forward original or a copy of original college transcripts and teaching license (if possessed) to Lynchburg City Schools Personnel Department or attach to application.
- Documents will be reviewed to determine if the applicant meets Lynchburg City Schools’ needs. Applicants meeting these criteria will be contacted and scheduled to attend an orientation.
You must present the following documents and complete the background investigation at orientation.
- A negative TB test completed within the last twelve (12) months and signed by a qualified physician, licensed nurse practitioner or licensed physician assistant acting under the supervision of a licensed physician. Tuberculin Test Certificate (.pdf)
- Documents that establish employment eligibility. Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (.pdf)
- Virginia State Police Fingerprint Check and FBI Fingerprint Check (completed at orientation)*
- Social Services Child Protective Services (completed at orientation)*
*Note: The cost of the background check is the responsibility of the applicant (Personnel Regulation 5-10.1: Criminal History Record Information). The cost will be incurred in 2 installments to be deducted from the substitute's first two payroll checks.
|Compensation is based on the following criteria:|
|Education||Hours Worked||Daily Rate|
|Non-bachelor’s degree (60 hours plus)**||7.5 Hours||$60|
|Bachelor’s degree||7.5 Hours||$75|
|Possession of a state teaching license||7.5 Hours||$85|
|Long-term substitute, beginning at day eleven||7.5 Hours||Daily rate + $35|
|** College credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.|
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis; however, seating is limited for orientation. If you have any questions about the application process, staff from the Department of Personnel are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. at (434) 515-5050 or via email.