Population: 565 students
Colors: Blue and Yellow
From the Lynchburg Expressway, take the 501 North exit. Take the Fort Avenue (Business 460) East exit. At the second traffic light, turn left onto Sandusky Drive. At the end of this road there is a flashing stop sign. Take a left onto Pawnee. Take the next right onto Sanhill. Take the first turn to the left into the Sandusky Middle parking lot.
8:10 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
Our school year consists of two semesters; four grading periods of nine weeks each.
Our mission is to provide a safe, positive, and inclusive environment where ALL students WILL thrive academically, socially, and emotionally.
Sandusky Middle School will collaborate with all stakeholders in order to provide a safe, rigorous, and engaging learning experience for all. We will challenge learners to be responsible and productive citizens who excel in all endeavors. We will empower learners to respect themselves and others while embracing our differences.
Sandusky Middle School is located in the southwestern portion of Lynchburg, Virginia. The school is near historic Sandusky House, which was built in 1810 and used during the Civil War as headquarters by Union General Davis T. Hunter during the unsuccessful raid on Lynchburg in June 1864. The Union Army was held off by Confederate General Jubal A. Early, and one of Early's descendants now owns and lives in the house. The house and school take their name from an Indian word meaning "by the cool waters."
Sandusky Middle School opened its doors in 1966 as Sandusky Junior High School with students in grades seven, eight and nine in attendance. When the Lynchburg City Schools were racially integrated in 1970, Sandusky Junior High School served seventh and eighth grade students. Following annexation of portions of Bedford and Campbell counties in 1976, students were moved from Sandusky Junior High School to Dunbar Junior High School for a period of one year. During this time high school students from a rezoned attendance area and the newly annexed areas attended Heritage High School which was housed on the Sandusky campus.
In the fall of 1977, the junior high schools in the city were changed to middle schools and Sandusky Middle School began serving sixth, seventh and eighth grade students.
In 2005, the Lynchburg City School Board began discussions for building a new Sandusky Middle School. The result was a 132,864 square foot same-site replacement project that was completed in 2010. The old Sandusky was demolition in June of that same year and the new Sandusky Middle opened in August. It was the first school in this area to be LEED certified; a designation given to energy-efficient buildings.
Sandusky Middle houses students from all sectors of our city as well as from other locales. The majority come from our five primary feeder schools: Heritage, Marvin Bass, Payne, Sandusky, and Sheffield Elementary schools. Upon completion of required course work at Sandusky Middle School, students enroll at Heritage High School to complete their secondary education.