Information and Requirements
Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching with Lynchburg City Schools. Only applicants that meet Lynchburg City Schools’ requirements will be notified and scheduled for the orientation.
- Minimum of sixty (60) college credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university. Attach transcripts to the application or send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Successful background check
- Three satisfactory professional references
- Complete the online Lynchburg City Schools’ Employment Application. Include three professional references with the application. Click here for reference forms (.pdf).
- Forward original or a copy of original college transcripts and teaching license (if possessed) to Lynchburg City Schools Department of Human Resources or attach to application.
- Documents will be reviewed to determine if the applicant meets Lynchburg City Schools’ needs. Applicants meeting these criteria will be contacted and scheduled to attend an orientation.
You must present the following documents and complete the background investigation at orientation.
- A negative TB test completed within the last twelve (12) months and signed by a qualified physician, licensed nurse practitioner or licensed physician assistant acting under the supervision of a licensed physician. Tuberculin Test Certificate (.pdf)
- Documents that establish employment eligibility. Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (.pdf)
- Virginia State Police Fingerprint Check and FBI Fingerprint Check (completed at orientation)*
- Social Services Child Protective Services (completed at orientation)*
*Note: The cost of the background check is the responsibility of the applicant (Personnel Regulation 5-10.1: Criminal History Record Information). The cost will be incurred in 2 installments to be deducted from the substitute's first two payroll checks.
|Education/TERM||Hours Worked||Daily Rate|
|Non-bachelor’s degree (60 hours plus)**||7.5 hours/day||$90|
|Bachelor’s degree||7.5 hours/day||$100|
|Possession of a state teaching license||7.5 hours/day||$110|
|Long-term||7.5 hours/day||Base Daily Rate + $35/day|
** College credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Preparing and submitting lesson plans
- Grading and assessing students
- Communicating and conferencing with parents/guardians
- Participating in school functions/activities as assigned by the building principal
Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis; however, seating is limited for orientation. If you have any questions about the application process, staff from the Department of Human Resources are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (434) 515-5050 or via email at email@example.com.