How will my final paycheck be paid in the event of my death?                          Phone Number

Final Paycheck Unpaid

By law, in the event of your death, the Finance Dept. must issue your final pay (for hours worked and leave payouts) as a printed check payable to your estate rather than allowing a direct deposit to go through in your name. This means that Finance will stop the direct deposit and issue a printed check made payable to "The Estate of _______" and your next of kin will need to provide documentation to the Payroll Supervisor that he or she is entitled to receive the check. Documentation may include proof of Executor-ship of the estate (as outlined in your will) or designation as the Administrator of the estate (received from the Circuit Court of residence).


Finance Dept.

Angel Randolph
(434) 515-5010

Benefit How will my benefits be paid if I die?   How can I change or update my beneficiary?                        Phone Number
                   & Benefit Website


VRS rules determine how benefits are distributed if you die while being an active employee. Benefits are paid by the order of precedence or they way you have  it on your designated beneficiary form. You can choose a survivor benefit plan when you complete a VRS retirement application. Please call Minnesota Life to verify your beneficiaries.


To designate or change a beneficiary for the member portion of your VRS benefit, complete VRS-2 form. Instructions are included on the form.


(888) 827-3847


Part of VRS benefits are valued at two times your annual pay that is rounded up to the nearest thousand. Please call Minnesota Life to verify your beneficiaries.


Complete VRS-2 form to designate or change a beneficiary for VRS Group Life and Optional Life benefits. Instructions are included on the form.


Minnesota Life
(800) 441-2258

457 Deferred
Compensation Plan

Account balance is payable to designated beneficiary. Amount payable depends on your contributions and market earnings or losses. A beneficiary designation was made if you joined the program and you must keep your information up-to-date. Call ICMA or log in to ICMA online account to verify your beneficiary.


Log in to Account Access to change name, beneficiary or marital status.


ICMA-RC Deferred Compensation
(800) 669-7400

Mr. David Bush
(800) 892-5558 Ext. 89743 or
(804) 897-5042 or

(434) 258-2011
Mr. Matt Rose
(800) 448-2542 Ext. 87611 or
(540) 520-3834

American Century Investments LCS Benefits Office for Enrollment Kit
(Mutual Funds) (800) 345-2021

AXA Equitable Life Assurance Co.
Mr. Thomas Dukes
121 Goldenrod Place
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 832-0012

Horace Mann Insurance Company Zachary Smith
3831 Old Forest Road, Suite #6
(804) 543-8331

Voya Life Insurance and Annuity Co.
(Variable Annuity) 
Jane Luke
12600 Fair Lakes Circle, Suite 150
Fairfax, VA 22033
(703) 449-2913

Voya ReliaStar Life Insurance Co.
Security Benefit Group
(Mutual Funds) (Fixed)
Virginia Retirement Specialists, Inc.
Mr. Jay Kumar
101 Duncraig Drive #111
Lynchburg, VA 24502
(434) 944-2655 or
(434) 258-8795
Mr. Andy Mathews

P. O. Box 11513
Lynchburg, VA 24506
(434) 534-9004


Federally guaranteed continuation of medical, dental and vision coverage (COBRA) for your family if you die. Eligible family members may choose to maintain coverage with the Lynchburg City Schools' health care plans for up to 36 months by paying a monthly premium.


Benefits Department will automatically send information to your family in the mail.


Benefits Department
(434) 515-5010

Flexible Spending 

Receipt for claims may be submitted for services received prior to employee's death, any unused funds are forfeited. IRS defines rules.


Take Care by WageWorks
(800) 950-0105