The arts form an integral part of the curriculum at T. C. Miller in teaching the core subject areas. Students not only receive instruction in multiple focused visual arts, music, and movement education classes throughout the week, they also attend various STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, ARTS, and Math) and other cross-curriculum classes taught by our Performing Arts (visual arts, music and movement) teachers. Classes are offered at each grade level Kindergarten through fifth grade.
Performances including singing, musical instruments, skits, plays, dancing and other activities are written, choreographed, and performed by teachers and students throughout the year.
- Programs called "open performances" are scheduled three times a year. Each class showcases classwork that integrates the arts with core SOL content and highlights curriculum just studied.
- Students also perform in one of our three full-scale musicals under the direction of the music teacher. Students in our Advanced Art class help create the scenery and props for these productions.
- Suzuki violin lessons are offered for those interested.
- T. C. Miller offers many extra-curricular groups and clubs, including a competition level Show Choir and Dance/Flag Corp which perform at various community events throughout the year. These groups as well as our Jump Rope, Fitness, Cultural Dance, Musical Instrument, and Visual Arts clubs present “Backstage Café” in the Spring each year to showcase their talents and raise money for the school's "Patron of the Arts" fund.
- Guest dance and theatre groups, artists and/or authors are invited to present and instruct at T. C. Miller each year.