Skip to main content
- The Glass Drama Dept. has earned an international reputation for excellence by performing in a number of venues through the USA and the world. The national high school theatre champions twice, Glass Theatre has sent a large number of alumni to Broadway and Hollywood, including several Emmy, Tony and Academy Award winners. Recent TV programs with Glass alumni are 9-1-1, Nashville & Friday Night Lights, alum Connie Britton and 2 Broke Girls, alum Beth Behrs.
- The Beacon of Hope Future Center has opened at Glass whose mission is to encourage in all students the aspiration to pursue, and provide them with the tools and resources to attain, a post-secondary education. Students are assisted by the Future Center Director and volunteers with financial aid and scholarships, college searches, test preparation and tutoring, NCAA Clearinghouse processes, college visits, and transitioning into post-secondary education in a K-16 program.
- E. C. Glass is home to an extensive and noteworthy art collection of more than 260 pieces which have been donated to or acquired by the school over the past 70 years. Students are privileged to walk the halls where these art pieces are displayed. There is an annual Friends of the E. C. Glass Art Collection tour held in the fall for public viewing.
- Lynchburg City Schools provides free Suzuki Violin instruction beginning in kindergarten. This means that most strings students in the orchestra have been playing for 9 years prior to high school. Students also become integral parts of the pit band for theater, vocal performing groups, marching band, & community orchestras.
- Both high schools in Lynchburg City Schools (LCS) appoint a student representative to the School Board. The Student Representative attends the monthly school board meetings to report on school activities and concerns. LCS is one of few school divisions in Virginia to follow this policy.
- There are over 260 Master Partnerships with local businesses and LCS. Businesses provide a variety of in-kind and monetary services and volunteerism to the individual schools. This program is over 20 years old and nationally recognized for its ground-breaking program of excellence.